Tuesday 28 February 2023

WHO ARE THE SIDDHAS?


As a line in this song goes, if you are forever a secret, I shall end up becoming mad. If you keep evading me, where shall I go, Dear Lord? If you are going to keep hiding away, where shall I go? Believing that you were in Annamalai I saw you as the light and kept you in my vision. Though I always say your name, you are yet to come before me. Where shall I seek you? I came to Thillai, but you remained a secret. Having taken many births just to see you, is it fair if you keep avoiding me? All these births and efforts would not go to waste then.

In a song by Sadhu Om, we hear the same plea, that this birth is a waste if he does not show up.



God plays hide and seek with us, just as a parent plays with his child. But if the child has much fun playing the game, but for an aspirant who yearns to see him it drives him crazy. Flipping through the pages of the sacred texts, nothing is known. The Siddha songs are said to be enveloped in Paripaasai. Even translations do not do justice to these texts. Then comes along Ramalinga Adigal and breaks the code. He makes it available to us in simple language, as he had just lived some 200 years ago. What the Siddhas spoke about and kept a secret was divulged by Adigal so that we too could take in the ambrosia. Each song of his brings sweetness into our mouths and melts our hearts. He is eager to lead all those keen to know provided their search is genuine, and they are willing to toe the line. The cry is heard by the most compassionate being, and he comes standing at our door to hear us out. Now we need to follow and place an effort. Soon he helps bring down the divine grace, and then the grace shall do wonders as we watch the divine play unfold within and without. 

But the starting point is to listen to the guru. I guess the reason Agathiyar and the deities keep feeding us divine knowledge, the knowledge that leads the way to gain emancipation, is because we listen and follow what I see as lacking in others. They tend to put off carrying out these divine instructions to attend to other matters first without realizing if they listen to the Siddha directives everything changes for the better. Tavayogi asked me if I was carrying out what was told implying that people who come around listening to him talk do not do so. If they listen only then can he move on to the next subject. This was in response to my question as to why he spoke the same things at each venue. As I was eager and had a hunger and thirst to know more he bored me to the core with the same script and text. Hence the question was raised. 

Gowri Arumugam during her visit to Kallar took up the venture to produce an album for Agathiyar after Tavayogi requested her to do so. We teamed up and the album titled "Agathiyar Geetham" was launched in 2018 by the grace of the Siddhas. We saw it as a divine task that the divine gave us and we got to fulfill it.

The Siddhas know when to initiate a move and also when to stop us. It happens for our good. As they see the past, present, and future they keep us on track. Though they help us out with material things too their agenda is to make each one of us a Siddha. Who then is a Siddha? A Siddha is said to be forever immersed in the bliss of the dance of Siva. Let us hear further from Agathiyar and Tavayogi and watch a movie depiction of Ramalinga Adigal's life story.