Thursday 8 February 2024

STAYING STILL

When Agathiyar came last evening, I asked him if I should move house. He told me to be still and do nothing "Summa Iru" சும்மா இரு. If Agathiyar had tested me numerous times and given me lectures on anger management in the past both in the Nadi and when he came through devotees, last evening he told me that he would not have me practice anything else, since the disturbances in the neighborhood itself were a practice and a test of my patience. He tested me today just as he had tested me immediately after the hour-long lecture on anger management in the Nadi back then. I had a neighbor ramp up his motor for a long time. Agathiyar asked me to be like my guru Supramania Swami. After Supramania Swami moved into the 30-foot by 11-foot kudil that we built for him at Tiruvannamalai, an automotive shed was erected next to his kudil the following year. A colleague who visited Swami reported to me the noise and din that emitted from the worship. When he asked Swami how he could stay amidst the noise, Swami replied that the noise did not affect him in any way. It was true that Gnanis are beyond matter and the material world but to ask me to emulate him was beyond my ability. My troubles began the very moment he had shut me in my or rather his prayer room, sleeping there too, after he winded up AVM and had be go within. The knocking and noise from the inconsiderate neighbors during the day and throughout the night would keep me awake and angry.

I understood that Arunagirinathar was told the same by Lord Murugan "Summa Iru" which led him to remain in the spot he sat for some 12 years. Bhagawan Ramana too is said to have sat in the underground Pataala Lingam for years after several mischievous boys troubled him while sitting in the hall in the temple grounds after arriving from Madurai. Later Seshadri Swami moved him to Virupaksa caves in the hill. So when Agathiyar told me the same I wondered how was I to achieve this. As I tried to digest these words he continued, "Is that puzzling?" புதிராக இருக்கிறதா?  and added, "Well go research it"ஆராய்ச்சி செய்.

When Haary Roshaahn Yograj spoke about his guru Devi Amma in Bangalore and about whom he shared with me last evening, I could immediately relate to her and see the similarities with what Tavayogi held to and his teachings. I got an instant liking for her too. Searching the net I came across a piece at https://pradakshina.substack.com/p/deviammabangalore

Scrolling through I was surprised to read Devi Amma quote Bhagawan Ramana as follows,

"Bhagavan would say - “Submit to me and I will strike down the mind.” Or, “Only be still and I will do the rest.”

I got my answer to the probing question about the term 'Summa Iru" or Be Still. Agathiyar has answered me. He has asked to give way to the Prapanjam to correct the scene or scenario and not have me confront it directly. He also had me build up my patience and be cool.  I guess since I am still fighting the odds and battling these external interferences unsuccessfully, Agathiyar wants me to accept and settle in which is a tough thing to do. Sitting still, itself was a practice he says, and not an easy one too. Hence I understood why he said that the practice would even get harder henceforth. He was going to monitor and evaluate my current state and degree of anger, I knew. And he has been telling me not to let my guard down on anger as the energies currently assembled at the crown of the head would head back to lower chakras which would be a wasted effort as he had put in so much work into it.