Wednesday 26 June 2024

A REBEL

We have come across at least once traditions, customs, beliefs, and faiths that are flawed. Such flaws were portrayed in the films "Maharaj" and "Shyam Singha Roy". Yet we blindly follow fake and self-proclaimed gurus and masters as in the former and admit it is difficult to break age-old practices, traditions, customs, beliefs, and faith as in the latter. But the Siddhas being the radical and bold ones tore these down and exposed these wrongdoings. Sivavakiyar, Kuthambai, Ramalinga Adigal, Supramania Bharathi, Tavayogi, and even Agathiyar have come down hard on these mischief makers and have warned us through their songs to be alert and never fall for the tricks, manipulation, and avoid the unholy alliance with such people in holy garbs. 

On another note, I am confused when I read obituaries written or rather Xeroxed from earlier ones with a quick change of names of the deceased, addresses, and other personal particulars. A typical obituary would state that it is with deep regret and sadness that we inform the passing away of the deceased and in the same breath state that the deceased has attained the Holy Feet of Lord Siva or "Siva Patham". Why do we come out with such a statement or notice that mentions regret and sadness for so and so who has passed away and has merged at the feet of the Lord? Isn't this what we all came for and aim to attain? These words ring out even when spiritual and religious heads and patrons of these movements and organizations die. Isn't this what these masters and gurus strived to attain in their lifetime? Has not the master or guru prepared his or her followers to accept his or her death joyfully? Agathiyar says that death is but another doorway to another journey and that it should be happily looked forward to. 

Another much-mentioned word during death is that of asking us to pray for the soul to attain peace or "Atma Santhi". Does that mean that that soul never saw a moment of peace during its lifetime? Was it tortured, or had it suffered, or was it in pain that now the family has to carry out prayers and rituals to appease the soul? Or are these for those who carried much desire in them and never got to see their dreams come true? Are prayers and rituals then necessary only for those who have never seen a good day in their lifetime? Would this then exempt the need to carry out these last rituals for someone who has attained a state of peace with himself and the world around him while alive? 

I guess this is the reason I was somehow not prompted from within to go back to the burial ground of my late father after he passed away in 1991. Though I never carried out any rituals for him, either at home or in temples and holy places to this day, I carry him in my heart to this day. When my mother passed away a year back and was cremated as she had desired, similarly I was never moved to carry out the yearly rituals. Both my parents were prepared to leave their mortal frame having attained the state of satisfaction and completeness. They never had any unfulfilled desires. For that matter, they never had any desires. They lived a happy life until their last days. 

I guess this is the reason that Tavayogi too told me there was nothing for me to do when news of my guru Supramania Swami's passing reached my ears and I sought advice from Tavayogi. Similarly, after Tavayogi's passing, I did nothing, following his advice. Just like my parents, both my gurus never carried even a single desire or want. Since their soul was at peace, there did not arise any need for rituals to appease these souls. Agathiyar too never came around telling me I was wrong in holding on to this understanding. In fact, when my wife recently asked Agathiyar if we should carry out these rituals for the dead, he replied it was not necessary for us but the others needed them. He said that since we had the right understanding and had no desires, it was not necessary, but for those who carry tons of desires and wishes that aren't fulfilled, there is a need for these rituals.

When the famed Nadi reader of Chennai, left his mortal frame, many years back, Agathiyar told a close aid of his that as the latter's soul was meditating in Pothigai hills, it was not appropriate for his family to carry out rituals that would jeopardize his meditative state forcing him to leave his meditation or Tavam and come back amidst them. But as we all are so tied up with customs and traditions, I understand that his family went ahead with the rituals, failing to realize that the deceased was an exceptionally special soul. Agathiyar surprised me too. I never knew that the soul continues to meditate once the practice is instilled and practiced while alive.

Ramajayam, who was Supramania Swami's son, shared that he regretted that he never saw the greatness of his father when he was alive. His father had written the details of how he was to be attended to upon his passing away in his diary. He even noted the exact date of his departure in 2007. Swami had shared with me when I visited him in 2005 that he would pass away when he was 76 years of age which apparently was in 2007. Swami had mentioned that his body was to be laid within 8 hours of passing away.

Recently I attended two funerals. One was that of my brother-in-law who was a staunch devotee of saint Raghavendra having built the saint a Brindavanam in his hometown. Days before his passing he gathered his family and told them how his last rites should be conducted. He asked to be cremated the traditional way, burning in the open on logs, just like we did my mother. His daughter is the famous singer Gowri Arumugam. She had her father sing along with her in a single that she released on YouTube. 



The other was the father to a staunch devotee of Agathiyar. Though her father was an atheist he came down from upholding his principles and played my wife and me a beautiful song written by Ramalinga Adigal. He had his daughter bring out his priced harmonium that was stored away, dusted it, and began to sing the song accompanied by his daughter who was a wonderful singer too. She contributed her voice to a track from our "Agathiyar Geetham" audio CD. This album was produced by my niece Gowri Arumugam. Like Gowri's father, he too had told his family how he wanted his last rites to be carried out. There were no rituals that day. Like my mother he too told his family that he wanted to sleep before passing away. He was cremated too. 

Ramalinga Adigal sang that the day he left behind caste, religion, and all things related, he saw the ArutJothi. Supramania Swami told me days before his passing that he had seen the Jothi.