Friday 8 March 2024

MEANS TO SALVATION

The gates to bliss were opened since yesterday morning. The ambrosia has been wetting the crown of my head and the rest of my body. I called over my wife and hugged her for I knew I had to share the bliss with her. It was complete attaining Puranam then as we were embraced in each other's arms as Shiva Sakti. The songs of Sadhu Om brought to life by Sriram Parthasarathy playing in the background added to the divine ambiance around us. The Prapanjam came within in torrents that were felt right to the tips of the fingers. The feeling was felt all day long till this moment as I pen this post. It is 4.50am on Friday 8 March 2024. 

Tonight devotees of Lord Shiva shall observe Sivarathri till the early morning hours of Saturday. It has been a year since Agathiyar in the form of the bronze statue left AVM for another devotee's home. If we had done homam and abhisegam to his murthy at 6pm, 9pm. 12 midnight, 3am and conclude the rituals at 6am, I wonder what I should do this time around in his absence in the form of a statue?

If the idol of God or guru delights the devotee and brings him to be centered acting as an object of focus, the aroma of incense brings one to become aware of his breath. The songs sung or played and heard bring the mind to settle and become composed. The rosary of beads rolled in the hand brings one to focus on touch. The mantra chanted binds the mind within. This is how all the senses are bonded in prayers.

The guru too gives initiation in any one of these methods. When Sadhu Om read about Bhagawan Ramana in Suddhananda Bharati’s book "Sri Ramana Vijayam", it drove him to want to meet the saint. He sat and joined the others in singing the Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana Malai at Janaki Mata home. "He was so attracted by the depth of the prayer, that he was thrilled and his yearning to visit Tiruvannamalai increased." On 6th July 1946, she brings him before Bhagawan Ramana. Bhagavan Ramana revealed His Nirguna Sath Swaroopa on his very first visit. "A couple of weeks later, he entered the dining hall, and seeing that Sri Bhagavan was eating there, he sat in front of Sri Bhagavan, and started eating. When Sri Bhagavan finished his breakfast, he got up from his seat. Seeing this, Sadhu Om also got up, although he had not finished eating. Sri Bhagavan looked at Sadhu Om and said, Vandha Velaiyaip Paar (Look after the business for which you have come). Sadhu Om then sat down, but since he had gotten up while eating, he was reluctant to continue eating. Sri Bhagavan, after washing his hands, was walking alongside the dining hall. Seeing that Sadhu Om was reluctant to eat, he repeated the words, Vandha Velaiyaip Paar. Hearing these words, Sadhu Om started eating again. As Sri Bhagavan went near the entrance and was about to pass over the threshold, Sadhu Om turned back and looked at Sri Bhagavan. Sri Bhagavan also looked at Sadhu Om and uttered the same words, Vandha Velaiyaip Paar, for the third time in succession." The words triggered a message within him. Sadhu Om realized that the words were Sri Bhagavan's upadesa for him. As Ramana Maharishi says, "... the spiritual energy of a master transforms the consciousness of men" Sadhu Om was transformed that day.

So did Swami Muktananda receive an upadesa from his guru Bhagawan Nityananda. Margaret Simpson writes in ‘A Perfect Life’, Siddha Yoga Publication, 1996, 

"That word (Guru Om), which I (Swami Muktananda) received after so many years, spread through my body from head to toe like wildfire carried by the wind. It produced in me both inner heat and the coolness of joy. Before meeting my guru I had practiced many different kinds of yoga, but it was I who had practiced them. However, that word activated a spontaneous yoga within me."

Like Bhagawan Ramana, Tavayogi had an upadesa for me too. It was "நமக்கு இது தேவை இல்லை மகனே" or "We don't need this." When I arrived at Kallar Ashram for the first time in 2005, Suresh and Vimalan from Tiruvannamalai and an old man were there, having stayed back after the monthly Pournami or Full Moon Puja. Suresh brought out a Rudraksha seed and asked if he could wear it. Tavayogi took it in his hands and seeing no flaws in it, gave him the green light to wear it, together with a few words of caution as to the manner of wearing it and the places to avoid bringing it to. I remained a spectator to this for it was all new to me. When Suresh left us Tavayogi turned to me and said, "நமக்கு இது தேவை இல்லை மகனே" or "We don't need this, son." Then I being a show-off, and wanting to impress him, showed him the gem-studded ring on my finger that Supramania Swami had told me would do some good. I then told him I was wearing a Rasamani or solidified purified mercury on me too, gifted by the late Dr. Krishnan, an astrologer, and Siddha practitioner. Seeing these Tavayogi answered the same, "நமக்கு இது தேவை இல்லை மகனே" or "We don't need this." This upadesa of his saved me from accepting many more gifts that came my way freeing me from being trapped further in the Maya's web of illusion. It made it easy for me to let go of my hold on possessions and positions.

Besides a word, initiation can come by means of a touch or look too. If these saints' lives changed after they met their gurus, many among us seemed to have not been touched for we still go around scouting for more initiations and upadesa. The search never ends. It is only when the search stops that the transformation within shall take place. Just as we have to wait for the flower to bloom and wither to transform into fruit and wait for it to ripen before we can eat it when all external activities that are meant to bring about the "fruition" of the soul or Atma stop, the "fruit" is ready to be offered to the divine. The Atma then draws aside the veil and appears before him to help navigate the rest of his life bringing salvation.