Thursday 14 March 2024

THE SIDDHAS ARE VERY MUCH ALIVE 1

When the researchers and learned tried to place the Siddhas in a timeline, and authors contained them in the pages of their books and their stories, and the gurus gave them forms and images, the Siddhas are very much alive and living with us if we choose to believe. We are coexisting with only a thin veil separating both worlds. 

When I was in Palani in 2003, after my darshan of Lord Muruga that I cannot recall till now, I stepped into a dark corridor. I came across a door on my right (that was exactly behind Lord Murugan's chamber). Three priests were in attendance. I asked the elderly priest closest to the door if it was Bhogar's sannadhi and samadhi. He nodded and went ahead showing the arati or flame and pointed to an opening where he said Bhogar resided. Another young priest was seated on the floor at his Kalla Petti or desk. The third a young man was standing with arms folded at another door that I assumed was the exit. Since the line of devotees before me and after me in the queue practically "disappeared into thin air" I took the liberty to sit for a while. Upon opening my eyes later the priest at the exit door gave me prasad and went over to a cupboard and reached for a drinking vessel. He handed it over to me saying it was milk from the abhisegam. I drank it and thanked him with a nod. I stepped outside the door into a bright corridor that led me to the open. I was in a daze drinking the milk. My feet hardly touched the ground, or at least that was how I felt. But it was entirely a different story when I started my climb. As I took the first step, I could not move my lower limbs. They felt extremely heavy. I had to force myself and use both my hands to lift my legs and place them on each step. I was sweating profusely and my breathing was heavy. My throat was parched and dry. I forced myself to climb the hill. No one stopped to ask what was wrong or came to assist. I doubt if they ever noticed. When I reached the top of the hill I looked around for a spot to lie down. I saw a row of shops and walked towards it. I dropped my frame on the ground, leaning against the wall of the row of shops. I saw white light with silhouettes of people moving around and speaking loudly. I lay there for some time before it began to clear. I eventually picked myself up and joined the queue. 

After drinking the milk, I went around and around the temple grounds numerous times till the effects of the "spiked" drink wore out. I headed for the waiting car and left Palani. Where was I and what did happen then? 

When Nadi Nool Aasan Ramesh called me over on 19.8.2005 for a reading, Agathiyar surprised me with a much-awaited explanation. He explained what took place at Palani Temple during my maiden pilgrimage in 2003. Agathiyar told me that Lord Murugan had given me the milk. 

"தெளிவு பெற தேய்வதிரு ஞான பாலும்,
பாலுணவு ஆண்டிதட கோட்டம் தன்னில்,
பால குமரனும் அளித்து விட்டார்,
ஞானப்பால் என் வாக்கால் குமரன் அளித்தார்,
ஞானப்பால் அருந்திய அக்கணம் தொட்டு,
அக்கணம் முதல் மாற்றநிலை பெறுவாய் உண்மை.

If I was pretty sure that Bhogar's sannadhi and samadhi was directly behind Lord Murugan's sannadhi, and the corridor was dark and Bhogar's sannadhi had no paintings but only a bare wall when I went again in 2005 accompanying Tavayogi and my brother, Bhogar's sannadhi was down a flight of steps in the open, in a separate building and its walls brightly painted with murals depicting stories from his life. Again a young priest handed a vessel of milk to Tavayogi just as we stepped out into the corridor. He and my brother took a portion each and I emptied the vessel. Again my feet were not touching the ground as I tried to keep pace with them. That was when Tavayogi stopped to turn to look at me. I saw a spark and twinkle in his eyes and a smile on his lips. He asked, "What Son?" I knew that he knew what was happening. I walked up to him and rested my drowsy head on his chest. We moved on. 

Now where was this then? How did Bhogar's sannadhi move places in two years time? When I went with the AVM family again in 2016, we were brought into Lord Murugan's presence via another route by a priest without asking. Bhogar's sannadhi was pretty much the same then. 

Since then I have considered Palani as Twilight Zone. You never know what to expect with the playful Lord Muruga.